Professor of Medicine
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine
Samsung Medical Center
50 Irwon-dong Gangnam-gu
Seoul, 135-710, Korea
Email: hj3425.kim [AT] samsung [DOT] com
Dr. Kim is born and raised in Seoul Korea where he is Professor of Medicine at Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine and Samsung Medical Center. Dr. Kim graduated from Seoul National University in 1985, and obtained his Medical Master’s degree in 1991. His PhD was obtained in 1996. After an internship at Seoul national University Hospital from 1985-1986, Dr. Kim completed his mandatory Korean military service (1986-1989), and then completed his residency in Internal Medicine (1992). Subspecialty training in Pulmonary Medicine was followed by a sojourn in Lungenklinik, Hemer, Germany, and then two years at University of California Medical Center (1997-1999). During this time, Dr. Kim served as an assistant professor of medicine at Samsung Medical Center in Seoul, moving up through the ranks to full Professor in 2007.
Dr. Kim is a member of the Korean Medical Association, the Korean Society of Tuberculosis and Pulmonary Disease, as well as a member of international organizations such as the World Association for Bronchology, the American College of Chest Physicians, the American Thoracic Society, and the Asian Pacific Association for Bronchology. Although a major focus of his research and clinical activity has been in the field of Pulmonary Hypertension, Dr. Kim has also considerable expertise in lung cancer treatment, bronchoscopy and interventional procedures. He is considered a leading expert in bronchoscopic management of tuberculous airway strictures and other causes of benign central airway obstruction.
- Hojoong Kim. Stenting therapy for stenosing airway disease. Respirology. 3: 221-228, 1998.
- Chung MP. Lee KS. Han J. Hojoong Kim. Rhee CH. Han YC. Kwon OJ. Bronchial stenosis due to anthracofibrosis. Chest. 113:344-50, 1998.
- SW Suh, J Kim, CH Baek, Hojoong Kim. Development of new tracheal prosthesis: autogenous mucosa-lined prosthesis made from polypropylene mesh. The International Journal of Artificial Organs. Vol.23, No. 4, 2000. pp.261-267.
- Eunhee S. YI, Hojoong Kim, Hyekyung Ahn, Jennifer Strother, Timothy Morris, Elieazer Masliah, Lawrence A. Hansen, Kyungjoo Park, Paul J. Friedman. Distribution of obstructive intimal lesions and their cellular Phenotypes in chronic pulmonary hypertension. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. Vol. 162, 2000 pp. 1577-1586.
- O Jung Kwon, Gee Young Suh, Man Pyo Chung, Jhingook Kim, Joungho Han, Hojoong Kim. Tracheal Stenosis Depends on the Extent of Cartilaginous Injury in Experimental Canine Model. Experimental Lung Research. Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 329-338, 2003(9).
- Daehee Han, Kyung Soo Lee, Tomas Franquet, Nestor L. Muller, Tae Sung Kim, Hojoong Kim, O Jung Kwon, Hong Sik Byun. Thrombotic and Nonthrombotic Pulmonary Arterial Embolism : Spectrum of Imaging Findings. RadioGraphics. Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 1521-1539, 2003(11).
- Hojoong Kim, Young Mi Kwon, Jin Seuk Kim, Haengbyoung Lee, Jung-Ho Park, Young Mog Shim, Joungho Han, Joobae Park, and Duk-Hwan Kim. Tumor-Specific Methylation in Bronchial Lavage for the Early Detection of Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 22(12):2363-2370, 2004(6).
- M.S. Song , S.J. Song, N.G. Ayad, J.S. Chang, J.H. Lee, H.K. Hong, H. Lee, N. Choi, J. Kim, H. Kim, J.W. Kim, E.J. Choi, M.W. Kirschner, D.S. Lim. The tumour suppressor RASSF1A regulates mitosis by inhibiting the APC-Cdc20 complex. Nature Cell Biol Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 129-137, 2004.
- Kim JS, Lee H, Kim H, Shim YM, Han J, Park J, Kim DH. Promoter methylation of retinoic acid receptor beta 2 and the development of second primary lung cancers in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 1;22(17):3443-50, 2004(9).
- Lee KS, Jeong YJ, Han J, Kim BT, Kim H, Kwon OJ. T1 non-small cell lung cancer: imaging and histopathologic findings and their prognostic implications. Radiographics. 24(6):1617-36, 2004(11-12).
- Yon Ju Ryu, Eun Hae Kang, Won-Jung Koh, Gee Young Suh, Man Pyo Chung, O Jung Kwon, Hojoong Kim. Management of patients with relapsing polychondritis and airway complications. J Bronchol. 12(1):14-19, 2005(1).
- Choi N, Son DS, Song I, Lee HS, Lim YS, Song MS, Lim DS, Lee J, Kim H, Kim J. RASSF1A is not appropriate as an early detection marker or a prognostic marker for non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Cancer. 1;115(4):575-581, 2005(7).
- Choi J, Koh WJ, Kim TS, Lee KS, Han J, Kim H, Kwon OJ. Optimal duration of IV and oral antibiotics in the treatment of thoracic actinomycosis. Chest. 128(4):2211-2217, 2005(10).
- Jeong YJ, Lee KS, Jeong SY, Chung MJ, Shim SS, Kim H, Kwon OJ, Kim S. Solitary pulmonary nodule: characterization with combined wash-in and washout features at dynamic multi–detector row CT. Radiology. 237(2):675-683, 2005(11).
- Choi JC, Yu CM, Ryu YJ, Jeon K, Choi KA, Kwon OJ, Kim H. The role of endoscopic surgery for completely obstructive endobronchial benign tumor. Korean J Intern Med. 2006 Mar;21(1):15-9.
- YJ Ryu, H Kim, CM Yu, JC Choi, YS Kwon, J Kim, SW Suh. Comparison of Natural and Dumon airway stents for the management of benign tracheobronchial stenoses. Respirology 11:748-754, 2006(11)
- H Kim, YM Kwon, JS Kim, J Han, YM Shim, DH Kim. Elevated mRNA levels of DNA methyltransferase-1 as an independent prognostic factor in primary non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer 107:1042-9, 2006(9).
- YJ Ryu, H Kim, CM Yu, JC Choi, YS Kwon, OJ Kwon. Use of silicone stents for the management of post-tuberculosis tracheobronchial stenosis. European Respiratory Journal 28: 1029-1035, 2006(11).