Associate Prof. of Pulmonology
Co-director, 5th Pulmonary Department,
Izmir Dr. Suat Seren Training & Research Hospital for Thoracic Medicine & Surgery
35110 Yenisehir, Izmir, Turkey
TEL: 90-532 661 45 22 FAX: 90-232-362 28 31
E-MAIL: s.bilaceroglu [AT] gmail [DOT] com
Dr. Semra Bilaceroglu was born in Demirci-Manisa, Turkey in 1960. She completed her high school education in the American Collegiate Institute (Izmir, Turkey) in 1978 and university education in the Medical School of Ege University (Izmir, Turkey) in 1984. Following mandatory official service as the director of Boğazliyan Tuberculosis Dispensary (Yozgat, Turkey) from 1984-1987, Dr. Bilaceroglu was a pulmonary resident in Izmir Dr. Suat Seren Training and Research Hospital for Thoracic Medicine and Surgery in 1987. She became a pulmonary specialist in 1992 and an associate professor of pulmonary medicine in 2000. In 2003-2004, her research in pleural diseases prompted a sojourn with Prof. Richard Light at Saint Thomas Hospital and Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN, USA). After returning to Turkey, she was director of the intensive care unit for 2 years and director of the emergency department for 1 year. Currently, she is co-director of the pulmonary department and a faculty member in the same hospital.
Dr. Bilaceroglu’s major interests are interventional pulmonology, pleural diseases, sarcoidosis and other granulomatous diseases, lung cancer and pulmonary vascular diseases. She has over 80 publications in national and international peer-reviewed journals and books and is frequently invited to national and international meetings as a speaker and chairman. She enjoys teaching and in this regard, enjoys exercising her strong international relations and background for implementing scientific and social exchange between societies.
Dr. Bilaceroglu is currently the secretary of the European Association of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology, the secretary of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Turkish Respiratory Society (TRS) and an executive committee member of the Interventional Pulmonology Group in the TRS. She is an editorial board member of Respiration, Respirology and the Journal of Bronchology & Interventional Pulmonology besides being a consultant to the editorial boards of the journals: Solunum, Turkiye Klinikleri Medical Sciences, Turkiye Klinikleri Archive of Lung, Tuberculosis & Thorax, Chest, and Annals of Thoracic Medicine. She is a member of the TRS, American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP, Fellow since 2003), World Association of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology, American Association of Bronchology, and the European Association of Bronchology & Interventional Pulmonology.
1. Bilaceroglu S, Gunel O, Cagirici U, Perim K. Comparison of endobronchial needle aspiration with forceps and brush biopsies in the diagnosis of endobronchial lung cancer. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 1997; 52 (1): 13-17.
2. Bilaceroglu S, Kumcuoglu Z, Alper H, Osma E, Cagirici U, Gunel O, Bayol U, Celikten E, Perim K, Kose T. CT bronchus sign-guided bronchoscopic multiple diagnostic procedures in carcinomatous solitary pulmonary nodules and masses. Respiration 1998; 65: 49-55.
3. Bilaceroglu S, Cagirici U, Perim K, Ozacar R. Corynebacterium parvum pleurodesis and survival is not significantly influenced by pleural pH and glucose level. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 1998; 53 (1): 14-22.
4. Bilaceroglu S, Cagirici U, Gunel O, Bayol U, Perim K. Comparison of rigid and flexible transbronchial needle aspiration in the staging of bronchogenic carcinoma. Respiration 1998; 65: 441-449.
5. Bilaceroglu S, Perim K, Gunel O, Cagirici U, Buyuksirin M. Combining transbronchial aspiration with endobronchial and transbronchial biopsy in sarcoidosis. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 1999; 54 (3): 217-223.
6. Bilaceroglu S, Gunel O, Eris N, Cagirici U, Mehta AC. Transbronchial needle aspiration in diagnosing intrathoracic tuberculous lymphadenitis. Chest 2004; 126: 259-267.
7. Bilaceroglu S, Mehta AC, Light RW. Transbronchial needle aspiration for diagnosis of sarcoidosis. J Bronchol Intervent Pulmonol 2004; 11 (1): 54-61.
8. Bilaceroglu S, Mehta AC, Light RW. Transbronchial needle aspiration- Asian-Pacific experience. J Bronchol Intervent Pulmonol 2004; 11 (3): 206-214.
9. Bilaceroglu S, Chhajed P. Transbronchial needle aspiration: A diagnostic tool in routine bronchoscopy. JAPI 2005; 53: 797-802.
10. Zhu Z, Donnelly E, Dikensoy O, Misra H, Bilaceroglu S, Lane KB, Light RW. Efficacy of ultrasound in the diagnosis of pleurodesis in rabbits. Chest 2005; 128: 934-939.
11. Bilaceroglu S, Guo Y, Hawthorne M, Zhu Z, Stathopoulos GT, Lane KB, Light RW. Oral forms of tetracycline and doxycycline are effective in producing pleurodesis. Chest 2005; 128 (5): 3750-6.
12. Zhu Z, Hawthorne ML, Guo Y, Drake W, Bilaceroglu S, Misra HL, Light RW. Tissue plasminogen activator combined with human recombinant DNase is effective therapy for empyema in a rabbit model. Chest 2006; 129; 1577-1583.
13. Bilaceroglu S, Chhajed P, Mavis A, Aydogdu Z, Cagirici, U. Computed tomography-guided transthoracic needle aspiration in diagnosing and staging hilar and mediastinal masses of lung cancer after negative bronchoscopy. J Bronch Intervent Pulmonol 2007; 14(3):149-155.
14. Guo Y, Tang K, Bilaceroglu S, Kalomenidis I, Salleng KJ, Lane KB, Light RW. Iodopovidone is as effective as doxycycline in producing pleurodesis in rabbits. Respirology 2010; 15: 119–125.