Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
University of California Irvine
Orange, CA 92868
Dr. Colt left a successful academic practice to pursue his passions: global medical education, mountaineering/rock climbing, and writing. An accomplished author of numerous popular medical texts, he recently published two collections of short stories, and is currently working on a third (scheduled publication 2018). He lectures widely on education philosophies, the role of film for teaching medical ethics, end-of-life care and grief, and minimally invasive pulmonary. In the last five years he conducted more than 25 Train-the-Train programs for experienced medical educators in more than a dozen countries.
Henri was originally recruited to the University of California, Irvine in 2002 from the University of California San Diego where he was Professor of Medicine and Director of interventional pulmonary services at UCSD-La Jolla. Previously, Dr. Colt worked at the Laser Center of the University of Marseille, France. He is educated in the United States (University of Pittsburgh Affiliated Hospitals, Oregon Health Sciences University), and Europe (University of Nice, France). His background is multicultural; he speaks several languages, and has practiced medicine in Europe, the United States, and Africa.
Listed annually in Best Doctors in America since 1996, as well as in Orange Coast Magazine’s Best Doctors, Dr. Colt has authored over 200 peer-reviewed original research articles in addition to numerous book chapters, textbooks, and review papers. He has served as an associate editor for the Journal of Bronchology, section editor for the popular UpToDate in Pulmonary Medicine, and was on the editorial board or reviewer’s list for numerous medical journals, including Faculty 1000. Dr. Colt was Chairman of the World Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology, President of the American Association for Bronchology, Regent of the American College of Chest Physicians, and served on the Board of Directors of the Alliance for Lung Cancer Support and Education (ALCASE). He was an official development consultant to the Tianjin Economic Development Area (TEDA) in Tianjin, China, a nominee for the Global Genes Achievement Award, and Chairman of the World Bronchology Foundation. His work in education prompted numerous honorary memberships in medical societies as well as the prestigious San Jose de San Martin award from the South American Association for Bronchology, and leadership awards from the Philippines, Singapore, Japan, the United States, Argentina, and others. He is also a Fellow of the Wilderness Medical Society.
Dr. Colt is an internationally recognized authority in pulmonary endoscopic procedures. He lectures internationally on the use of novel endoscopic and optical surgical technologies including laser resection and thoracoscopy, as well as on palliative cancer treatments. He is certified in Medical Ethics and addresses religion, philosophy, psychology, ethics, humanitarian service, and palliative/end-of-life care in his seminars.
Today, Dr. Colt’s mission is to replace aging educational paradigms and to provide a uniform curriculum freely accessible to lung doctors and airway specialists around the world regardless of where they practice. This unique curriculum includes interactive lectures, problem-based learning exercises, teaching videos, role-playing exercises, computer simulation, mobile platforms and virtual reality tools built around The Essential Bronchoscopist Series of books, a series of bronchoscopy learning guides. Colt is the founder of Bronchoscopy International (bronchoscopy.org), an open-access, nonprofit international group of experts dedicated to training medical educators.
Selected recent publications
- Colt HG. Bronchoscopic laser resection in thoracic neoplasia. Comprehensive Textbook of Thoracic Oncology. Eds Aisner, Arriagadaa, Green, Martin, Perry. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore Md, 1996, pg. 925-939.
- Colt HG, Harrell JH. Therapeutic rigid bronchoscopy allows level of care changes in patients with acute respiratory failure from central airways obstruction. Chest 1997;112:202-206.
- Colt HG. Mesothelioma: Epidemiology, presentation, and diagnosis. Seminars in Resp and Crit Care Med 1997;18:353-363.
- Colt HG, Bergin CL. Chronic obstructive airways diseases: asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphysema, cystic fibrosis, and bronchiectasis. In, Textbook on Diffuse Lung Disorders (A comprehensive clinical-radiological overview) M Sperber Ed, Springer-Verlag publisher, Berlin, New York, pg. 185-225, 1998.
- Colt HG. Functional evaluation after interventional bronchoscopy. In, Interventional Bronchoscopy, Bolliger CT, Mathur PN (eds), Karger Publisher, Basel, Switzerland. Prog Respir Res, 1999;30:55-64.
- Colt HG. Emerging Technology: Thoracoscopy, window to the pleura. Special section, Chest 1999;116:1409-1415.
- Burrows CM, Mathews WC, Colt HG. Predicting survival in patients with recurrent symptomatic malignant pleural effusions: an assessment of the prognostic values of physiologic, morphologic, and quality of life measures of extent of disease. Chest 2000;117:73-78.
- Colt HG, Beamis JF, Harrell JH, Mathur PM. Novel flexible broncoscope and single-use disposable sheath endoscope system: a preliminary technology evaluation. Chest 2000;118:183-187.
- Matsuo T, Colt HG. Evidence against routine scheduling of surveillance bronchoscopy after stent insertion. Chest 2000;118:1455-1459.
- Hoffman HM, Colt HG, Haas A. Development of an experimental paradigm in which to examine human learning using two computer-based formats. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics book series, Westwood, Hoffman, Stredney, Robb Editors;IOS Press, Amsterdam (2001).
- Colt HG, Matsuo T. Hospital charges attributable to bronchoscopy-related complications in outpatients. Respiration 2001;68:67-72.
- Dalupang JJ, Shanks TG, and Colt HG. Nd:YAG laser damage to metal and silicone endobronchial stents: Delineation of margins of safety using an in-vitro experimental model. Chest 2001;120:934-940.
- Colt HG, Crawford SW, Galbraith O. Virtual reality bronchoscopy simulation: a revolution in procedural training. Chest 2001;120:1333-1339.
- Crawford SW, Colt HG. Virtual reality and written assessments are of potential value to determine knowledge and skill in flexible bronchoscopy. Respiration 2004;71:269-275.
- M Brenner, MD, NM Hanna, R Mina-Araghi, AF Gelb, MD, and RJ McKenna JR.,MD, and H. Colt, MD. Innovative Approaches To Lung Volume Reduction For Emphysema. Chest 2004;126:238-248.
- Lee P, Colt HG. Thoracoscopy: an update on therapeutic applications. J Resp Illness 2004;24:530-537.
- Ren S, Terman DS, Bohach G, Silvers A, Hansen C, Colt H, Sahn SA. Intrapleural Staphylococcal superantigen induces resolution of malignant pleural effusions and a survival benefit in nonsmall cell lung cancer. Chest 2004;126:1529;1539.
- Hanna N, Saltzman D, Mukai D, Chen Z, Sasee S, Milliken J, Guo S, Colt HG, Brenner M. 2-Dimensional and 3 Dimensional Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) and Polarization Sensitive OCT Imaging of the Lung and Pleura. J Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2005;129:615-622.
- Lee P, Colt HG. Rigid and semirigid pleurososcopy: the future is bright. Respirology 2005;10:418-425.
- Colt HG, Davoudi M, Quadrelli S. Pilot study of web-based bronchoscopy education using the Essential Bronchoscopist in developing countries (Mauritania and Mozambique). Respiration 2007;74:358-359.
- Colt HG, Ngoc van Tran, Quadrelli S, than Pham van. Creation of an interventional technical plateau at Cho ray Hospital, Vietnam. J Bronchol 2007;14:289-292.
- Murgu SD, Colt HG. Complications of silicone stent insertion in patients with expiratory central airway collapse. Annals Thorac Surg, 2007;84:1870-1877.
- Colt HG, Mathur PN. Manual of Pleural Procedures. Lippincott-Williams and Wilkins publishers, Philadelphia 1999.
- Colt HG, Jones V. Breast Cancer-related Lung Disease: a guide for patients living with advanced breast cancer. San Diego Prepress, San Diego, CA 2001.
- Colt HG. The Essential Bronchoscopist. A web-based self learning guide (6 modules) of bronchoscopy-related theory. (English and Spanish). 2003. (Portugese, French, and Japanese translations). 2007: https://www.bronchoscopy.org/education/BiEducEB_.asp.
- Lee P, Colt HG. Flex-Rigid Pleuroscopy Step-By-Step. CMPMedica, Asia, Singapore 2005