Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
University of California, Irvine
Philosophical practitioner certified APPA
Dr. Colt left a successful academic practice to pursue his passions: global medical education, philosophy, mountaineering/rock climbing, and writing. An accomplished author of medical text books, he recently published his collection of Flash Fiction 30 Stories About Life & Death. He lectures around the world on medical education, the role of film for teaching medical ethics, and Philosophical practice. He continues to lead Train-the-Train programs for medical educators around the world.
Henri was originally recruited to the University of California, Irvine in 2002 from the University of California San Diego where he was Professor of Medicine and Director of interventional pulmonary services at UCSD-La Jolla. Previously, Dr. Colt worked at the Laser Center of the University of Marseille, France. He is educated in the United States (University of Pittsburgh Affiliated Hospitals, Oregon Health Sciences University), and Europe (University of Nice, France). His background is multicultural; he speaks several languages and practiced medicine in Europe, Africa, and the United States.
Listed annually in n Orange Coast Magazine’s Best Doctors and Best Doctors in America since 1996, Dr. Colt has authored almost 300 peer-reviewed original research articles, book chapters, textbooks, and review papers. He was an associate editor for the Journal of Bronchology, is a writer and section editor for the popular UpToDate in Pulmonary Medicine, and was on the editorial board or reviewer’s list of numerous medical journals. Dr. Colt was Chairman of the World Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology, President of the American Association for Bronchology, Regent of the American College of Chest Physicians, and served on the Board of Directors of the Alliance for Lung Cancer Support and Education (ALCASE). He was an official development consultant to the Tianjin Economic Development Area (TEDA) in Tianjin, China, a nominee for the Global Genes Achievement Award, and Chairman of the European nonprofit World Bronchology Foundation. He has received honorary memberships in numerous medical societies and received the prestigious San Jose de San Martin award from the South American Association for Bronchology, the Killian and Dumon awards from the World Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology, and leadership awards from the Philippines, Singapore, Japan, the United States, Argentina, among others. He is a certified litigation mediator, a Fellow of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine (Wilderness Medical Society), and a Medical Ethicist (University of Buenos Aires, Argentina).
Dr. Colt is an internationally recognized authority in pulmonary endoscopic procedures. He has lectured internationally on the use of novel endoscopic and optical surgical technologies including laser resection, thoracoscopy, and palliative cancer treatments. In Medical Ethics he addresses religion, philosophy, psychology, ethics, humanitarian service, and palliative/end-of-life care. His current interests are in the medical applications of artificial intelligence, interventional pulmonology, education, and philosophy.
Dr. Colt is committed to changing educational paradigms and to provide a uniform, multidimensional, competency-based curriculum for teaching the fundamentals of airway procedures. As the founder of Bronchoscopy International (bronchoscopy.org), he has gathered an international group of experts dedicated to training medical educators around the world. Dr. Colt lives in Laguna Beach, California and Southern France.
Selected recent publications
- Lentz RJ, Colt HG, Chen H et al. Assessing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) transmission to healthcare personnel: The global ACT-HCP case-control study. Journal of Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiol 2020;1-7. doi:10.1017/ice.2020.455. download article here
- A study of bronchoscopy in the first six months of the pandemic now published in the Journal of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology (download article here).
- Khemasuwan D and Colt HG. Applications and challenges of AI-basd algorithms in the COVID-19 pandemic. BMJ Innovations 2021;7:387-398.
- Khemasuwan D, Sorenson JS, Colt HG. Artificial intelligence in pulmonary medicine: computer vision, predictive model, and COVID-19. Eur Respir Rev 2020:29:200181; https://doi.org/10.1183/16000617.0181-2020.
- Matus I, Colt H. Pleural Catheter Fracture During IPC Removal: An Under-reported Complication. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2021 Jan 1;28(1):e1-e3. doi: 10.1097/LBR.0000000000000684. PMID: 33332847.
- Lentz RJ, Colt H. Summarizing societal guidelines regarding bronchoscopy during the COVID-19 pandemic. Respirology. 2020 Jun;25(6):574-577. doi: 10.1111/resp.13824. Epub 2020 Apr 11. PMID: 32277733; PMCID: PMC7262091. Download article here.
- Sabbath BF and Colt HG. Sending retirees to the frontlines. J Community Hosp Internal Med Perspectives 2020;10 (5);386-388.
- Mulrennan S and Colt HG. Medical information and social media in the time of COVID-19. Respirology 2020;25:578-579.
- Colt HG and Williamson J. Training in interventional pulmonology: what we have learned and a way forward. Respirology 2020;1-10.doi: 10.1111/resp.13846. Download article here.
Published medical books and mosts recent book chapters
- Khemasuwan D and Colt HG. Artificial intelligence and computational modeling. In, 3D Lung Models for Regenerating Lung Tissue. Elsevier, 2022. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-323-90871-9.00010-3. link here.
- Deasy K, Colt HG, Kennedy M. AI in Respirology and Bronchoscopy. In, AI in Clinical Medicine. Wiley-Blackwell pub, 2023. link here.
- Colt HG and Murgu S. Bronchoscopy and Central Airway Disorders: A patient-centered approach. Elsevier 2012. link here.
- Colt HG. The Essential Bronchoscopist Series. Web-based self-learning guides (English with abundant translations 2018 onward. Rake press. link here.
- Colt HG, Quadrelli S, and Friedman L eds. The Picture of Health: Medical Ethics and the Movies. Oxford University press pubs 2011. link here.
- Colt HG, Mathur PN. Manual of Pleural Procedures. Lippincott-Williams and Wilkins publishers, Philadelphia 1999.
- Colt HG, Jones V. Breast Cancer-related Lung Disease: a guide for patients living with advanced breast cancer. San Diego Prepress, San Diego, CA 2001.
- Lee P, Colt HG. Flex-Rigid Pleuroscopy Step-By-Step. CMP Medica, Asia, Singapore 2005.